JCP&L – Elizabethtown Gas MGP Remediation Project – Project Update Week of July 17, 2023
Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L), Elizabethtown Gas and their contractor, Enviro-Air Technologies, are performing environmental remediation work at the Newton former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) site located near Diller Avenue and Brooks Plaza Road. This work, which is expected to be completed in third quarter 2023, is being performed in accordance with the rules and regulations of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) and in cooperation with and under the oversight of a Licensed Site Remediation Professional (LSRP). Langan is the environmental consultant overseeing remediation activities on behalf of JCP&L and Elizabethtown Gas.
If you have any questions about the project call the Community Information Line at 1-800-598-9724.
Anticipated work to be performed: Week of October 2, 2023
- Excavate impacted areas and move to stockpile area.
- Remove impacted soil to a licensed facility for proper disposal.
- Keep Town of Newton Public Works up to date with work around 42-inch stormwater pipe.
- Use odor suppressing foam in excavation areas as needed.
- Restore area after excavation.
- Compact and backfill excavations.
- Dewater excavation as necessary
- Remove impacted water offsite to a licensed facility for proper disposal.
- Continue mobilizing equipment and personnel as needed.
Work Completed: Week of September 25, 2023
- The project met with representatives of the Town of Newton Public Works to discuss work in an area near the project gate that will require digging around and under an existing 42-inch stormwater pipe.
- Planted trees in designated area and in wetlands in accordance with tree placement plan.
- Performed soft dig around gas lines and storm sewer.
- Continued installation of new electrical lines along Brooks Plaza.
- Excavated impacted areas and moved to stockpile area.
- Removed impacted soil to a licensed facility for proper disposal.
- Used odor suppressing foam in excavation areas as needed.
- Restored areas after excavation.
- Compacted and backfilled excavations.
- Removed impacted water offsite to a licensed facility for proper disposal.
- Dewatered excavation as necessary.
- Continued mobilizing equipment and personnel as needed.
JCP&L and Elizabethtown Gas are committed to: conducting work safely on the job site; minimizing community impacts from the project; keeping the local community, elected officials, and all interested parties informed of our progress; and enhancing the property’s continued productive use. Project updates will provide a review of key activities performed at the site over the past week as well as a look ahead to the next week’s anticipated activities. Field conditions, including weather, can often alter the project schedule and the schedule is subject to change.
Odors associated with MGP materials can often be detected by people at levels that are well below health concerns and often below what can be detected by an air monitoring instrument. While the project team is committed to doing everything possible to minimize odors, it remains possible that odors, similar to those during road paving work, will at times be noticeable.
Please see attached documents for further information.
MGP Fact Sheet